[Wellington-pm] IDEs round-the-room

Peter Kelly perlmonger at pck.co.nz
Sun Jun 25 14:05:36 PDT 2017

Thanks everyone for the round-the-room.  Traditionally I've used vim and
/say "variable is $variable" if $debug_level > x;/  But IDEs have some
merits - I do love being able to set a conditional breakpoint inside a
nested loop structure, and then hover over the name of the array-of-hashes
and click through it.  The perl command line debugger is pretty painful.
And I do introduce syntax errors as I work, no doubt more than the median
monger.

I did about 12 hours coding in Komodo over the weekend to try it out.
Komodo is very slow on the i5-powered computer I am using, although that
may be everything struggling with the 4K screen.  It is nice to be prompted
with function arguments, although they did tend to mysteriously disappear
once an argument was typed in.  But a two-second lag before it notices my
interim invalid-syntax code on the previous line is now OK is pretty
intolerable.

Perhaps I'll try Eclipse again ... it would feel a bit like moving back to
Lower Hutt ... I was glad to leave both behind :-/

Thanks,

Peter