[Wellington-pm] IDEs round-the-room

Dan Horne dan.horne at redbone.co.nz
Fri Jun 23 09:37:55 PDT 2017

I'm one of those rare people who prefers an IDE. At my current workplace I
use Notepad++, but that's because I'm not allowed to install software
myself, and development isn't my primary job anymore. I love Komodo and the
debugger. Stepping through code, setting breakpoints and inspecting
variables is much more preferable to the way I work than scattering print
statements. I have identified bugs in CPAN modules because I step through
all code, and not having to sprinkle print in other's code is a bonus.

The downsides: it's not cheap. ActiveState keeps changing the UI and this
throws me with each update. Once I find a way of navigating and working I
don't want to change. I've actually downgraded to v7 because that's the UI
I prefer and I see no reason to upgrade again.

The upsides for me, besides the debugger integration. It's multi-language,
multi-platform (I use Linux, Mac and Windows) and I can add macros that can
be invoked with keystrokes such as formatting my code with Perl Tidy. It
integrates with source control, can save remotely (via SSH), identifies
syntax errors in real time. As I said, I prefer to use an old version, but
there are a host of newer features in the latest version (
https://www.activestate.com/komodo-ide/features)

I won't include screenshots - you see them in the ActiveState site, and you
can download a trial from there.

Dan

P.S. On a side note, I used Xarka's OptiPerl 15 years ago when I was
working in the UK. It's Windows only, and I doubt it's been updated since
then. But it will have all the features you'd probably ever want, including
realtime syntax checking, and debugging. Plus it's only US$39 for a
personal licence. http://www.xarka.com/optiperl/features.html