[Wellington-pm] Round-up of last night's meeting

Florent Mara florent.mara at nzregen.co.nz
Wed Sep 3 19:09:43 PDT 2014

Hi Mongers,
Seeing the email for next week's meeting reminded me about not commenting
on last month's meeting.
First, many thanks for having a talk about Moose ... and for waiting for me
to be present. Much appreciated.

As I had jetlag induced 'slow(-er) brain' during the talk, I abstained from
asking potentially silly questions and was hoping to got through the slides
once they had become available online.

Anyhow, I took away the following from the talk
-> my project may not yet make enough use of Moose/object orientation in
Perl. I may even be largely using Moose wrong as I rarely define or use
objects properties. Moose is merely used to make method access simpler.
-> I was familiar with (and not keen on ...) AspectJ in Java. It was quite
a disappointment to see the construct available through MooseX::Aspect. But
I am re-assured to often read that it is good for logging and debugging ...
and not for, say, core feature implementation.
-> Attempts to use Moo failed. (and I didn't look into it, just added 2
more letters to the package call)
-> Several code snippets called a package for Moose best practice (?) or
maybe I was day dreaming. If it was, I can't seem to find any such package
on CPAN. A pointer would be much appreciated.

That is all I can remember and I am looking forward to next week's talkj.

Cheers,
Florent