[Wellington-pm] Hardware and Perl

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Wed Jun 13 19:08:56 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 11:03 +1200, Lesley Longhurst wrote:
> Hi Mongers,
>
> Does anyone know a good* module for getting information about the
> capabilities of CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drives? The methods we've been using to
> date are not working too well with the transition to virtualisation.

I'm afraid I don't know of such a thing.

If I were looking to get that information I'd probably start by parsing
the output of lshw.  But that might be what you're doind already - you
didn't say.

We had a brief chat on the #wellington.pm channel on irc.perl.org and
the only other suggestion that came up was perhaps your problems are due
to running inside a VM where you can't get access to the information
(once again, wild speculation in the face of little information).

If you do find an awesome solution then by all means tell us :-)