[Wellington-pm] [Fwd: ZeroMQ Talk Level 4, Friday 11th February]

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Wed Feb 2 20:39:32 PST 2011

----- Forwarded message from Martin Lucina <mato at kotelna.sk> -----

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:03:21 +1300
From: Martin Lucina <mato at kotelna.sk>
To: zeromq-dev at lists.zeromq.org
Subject: [zeromq-dev] Talk about ZeroMQ in Wellington NZ on Friday 11th
	February

Hi all!

I am currently on holiday in New Zealand and will be doing a talk about
ZeroMQ in Wellington while I'm here.

Date/Time: Friday the 11th of February 2011, 13:00
Venue: Level 4, Catalyst House, 150 Willis St

My talk will start with a brief introduction to ZeroMQ, some background
about where the ideas behind it come from and how ZeroMQ fits into the
messaging software landscape as compared to e.g. AMQP, JMS, and various RPC
solutions.

I will then go over the API with an emphasis on it's simplicity, immediate
familiarity to developers experienced with BSD sockets (i.e. anyone doing
network programming) and language-agnostic aspects. Expect to see examples
in your favourite language.

Continuing with some more advanced topics, I will cover how ZeroMQ sockets
are an evolution of BSD sockets, the messaging patterns provided by ZeroMQ
and how to use these to your advantage to build elegant scalable systems
and applications, whether you're scaling across hundreds of servers or
hundreds of cores.

Depending on how much time we have available we will then briefly cover
future directions where ZeroMQ is going - the community and contributors,
upcoming API changes and the motivation behind them, security aspects such
as encryption/authentication and robustness, and long-term
research/experimental topics like SP and a Linux kernel implementation and
IETF standardisation.

The talk will take about an hour and there will be time for questions and
discussion afterwards for those who wish to stay.

Thanks to Catalyst IT for providing the space for the talk!

Cheers,

Martin