[Wellington-pm] perl -f check failed

Sam Crawley samc at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Jul 20 21:15:08 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 16:01 +1200, Grant McLean wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 15:33 +1200, Jethro Carr wrote:

> > (The script uses a lock file to enforce a single instance which I've
> > confirmed by checking the logs for any evidence of a second process)
>
> Then I'm afraid the next thing I'd suspect is a bug in your code
> somewhere.  I've never run into a situation where -f failed to see a
> file.
>
> I have run into all sorts of weird problems with file status when the
> file being accessed is shared from a Windows server but since it's just
> a local filesystem in your case, OS-level problems seem unlikely.

I'd also suspect bugs in your code before bugs in perl (which do happen,
but are very rare, especially in something pretty core like file
operators).

Are you absolutely sure there are no other processes running something
on the filesystem that could somehow affect these files? As you've
already done a fair bit of investigation, it's likely to be something
quite strange, so don't rule anything out.

Sam.