[Wellington-pm] Roundup of Last Week's Meeting

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Mon Jul 19 02:45:09 PDT 2010

Hi Mongers

First I must apologise for being so slow at saying thank you - that's
just rude.

So, thank you to our three speakers - Lars, Dan and Olly for three
interesting talks.

Lars talked about the Wellington Perl Mongers instance of the Koha
library management system, which you can access here:

  http://wpm.mykoha.co.nz/

Much of the functionality for browsing the collection is available
without logging in, but if you want a login (for example to add
comments/reviews) then just send me an email with your preferred
username.

Dan talked about ETLp, for which the project page is here:

  http://firefly.activestate.com/dhorne/etlp

Olly talked about 'userv', for which the project page is here:

  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/userv/

Dan's slides are up on the Wellington.pm archive page and I'll put
Olly's up when he sends them to me (hint hint).

  http://wellington.pm.org/archive/

Thanks also to the sizeable crowd who turned up in spite of freezing
conditions outside (and stayed despite freezing conditions inside).  And
thanks in particular to Chris who managed to contribute some insights
during the Koha talk and even managed to talk Lars through a live config
change to add some handy features :-)

Next Meeting

The next meeting is three weeks away on August 10th.  I haven't had any
volunteers to speak yet, so *please* let me know if you want to book a
slot or suggest a topic.

I may be able to talk about my recent experiences building a web app
with Plack/PSGI.

The Rakudo 'Star' release of Perl 6 will be out at the end of this
month, so maybe someone would like to take that for a spin and tell us
about their experiences.