[Wellington-pm] Tips about Wellington

Andrew McMillan andrew at morphoss.com
Fri Aug 27 16:56:30 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 12:44 -0500, Uriel Lizama wrote:
> Hello fellow Perl Mongers,
>
> I'm closing down to my trip to New Zealand, just a couple of months away
> from the big day, and I'm finalizing all the details, and I was hoping
> you could give me some tips in a couple of things:
>
> 1. I'll be renting a small flat to stay while I'm there with the family,
> but I would like to know which are the better areas of Wellington so I
> look for something in the right area.

Hi Uriel,

Anywhere will be safe, but for short-term furnished rental you may have
more limited choices, and probably they will be mostly fairly close in.
Check the location on a map, if you're in doubt about distance from CBD.
The CBD is fairly flat, but everything gets steep pretty quickly outside
that, so walking around is good in the centre, but further out you can
use up a lot of energy and will want to hop on a bus.  Further still and
you will definitely want to have a car, to do anything at all.

There is nowhere in the Wellington region where I would be concerned for
my personal safety.  I've lived here for thirty-three years and have
never had any friend tell me they were pick-pocketed or mugged, or even
hear of it happening to "a friend of a friend".

> 2. How is public transportation in the city, would I need to consider
> renting a car to move around?

Public transport in Wellington is OK-ish, but if you want to get out and
see the countryside at all you'll want a car, and New Zealand is much
more about "countryside" than "big city sights".  You're staying three
months so I would look at buying a car second-hand and selling it
cheaply at the end, which is likely to be a big saving.  I think that
much of the tourism you would want to do in the region (indeed: the
whole country) you would want a car.

My eldest son (now 12) and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in Mexico when
I went there for DebConf6 at Oaxtepec, and afterwards in Oaxaca and
Mexico City.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions about whether
something might be suitable for how many people, etc.  I might also be
able to recommend some accommodation in Auckland, depending on timing.

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.

andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
   You don't become a failure until you're satisfied with being one.