[Wellington-pm] Grant's first draft [was: Last Thursday's Perl Mongers Meeting]

Andrew Ruthven andrew.ruthven at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Nov 9 11:30:45 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 16:11 +1100, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> Matthew Hunt wrote:
>
> > Here's a public Google Calendar for the 2010 schedule (second Tuesday of
> > each month - no meeting in January or December).  The actual date of
> > meetings may vary, but generally doesn't.
>
> If there's traditionally no meeting in January, how about a LCA inspired meeting
> on either the Sunday before, Monday* or Friday** nights or the Saturday
> afternoon after the Open day***.  The other nights are usually taken up for
> various people:
>
> 	Tuesday: Speaker dinner
> 	Wednesday: Conference dinner
> 	Thursday: Professional delegates dinner
>
> but Sunday, Monday and Friday often have people gathering loosely and you'll
> have a number of guest speakers available.

Thanks Jacinta, I reckon this is a good idea (if I must say so
myself...), but I want to make a slight correction before people start
planning events, the conference dinner is on Friday night.  So for
LCA2010 we have:

  Tuesday: Speakers
  Thursday: Professional Delegates Networking Session
  Friday: Penguin Dinner (conference dinner)

Which leaves Monday* and Wednesday free during the week.  We've
deliberately left those nights free so that people can organise their
own ad-hoc catch ups with people.

> * - Some miniconf organisers arrange to do something fun with their speakers
> afterwards in appreciation; although they don't advertise the fact.  Thus some
> potential attendees may discover themselves quite torn if you choose Monday
> night.  This isn't very reliable though, so I think Monday is a good bet.

I can second that.  I didn't even manage to make it to the pub with my
speakers after my miniconf in Hobart.  :(

> ** - Some conferences have had various events on the Friday evening, such as the
> Google party at Sydney (really awesome) and Melbourne (not as awesome) and the
> bar thing in Tasmania (not very awesome at all).  I don't know whether the team
> has organised something for 2010 so I don't know if that is an option.

Ack.

> *** - I don't actually know if the Open day is happening, or whether this is
> feasible, but it's an idea.  Lots of people will fly out on Saturday, so maybe
> it isn't.

Yes, the Open Day is happening, on the Saturday.

For the people that haven't heard about linux.conf.au before, please
check out http://www.lca2010.org.nz .

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
At work: andrew.ruthven at catalyst.net.nz
At home: andrew at etc.gen.nz
GPG fpr: 34CA 12A3 C6F8 B156 72C2  D0D7 D286 CE0C 0C62 B791
LCA2010: Co-Director, linux.conf.au 2010 - http://www.lca2010.org.nz