[Wellington-pm] LCA2010 Call for Miniconfs

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Mon Jun 15 19:27:27 PDT 2009

Hi again Mongers

The linux.conf.au conference will be held in Wellington in January 2010
and I'm sure there'll be plenty of attendees from the Perl community.

The conference organisers have just opened the "Call for Miniconfs".
The MiniConfs are 1-day mini-conferences that will be hosted in the
first two days of the LCA2010 5-day schedule.

    http://www.lca2010.org.nz/media/news/47

I think we should submit a proposal for a Perl miniconf to be organised
by Wellington.pm.  If the proposal is accepted then we'll solicit talk
proposals from the wider LCA community, but it would be advantageous if
we had some proposals/ideas/sample talks to mention in our initial
proposal.

To make things a little more interesting, I think it would be a good
idea to have a theme.  My suggestion (and please chip in with yours) is
'Modern Perl'.  This might encompass:

 * modules (eg: Moose, Catalyst, GUI libraries)
 * practices (eg: PBP, TDD, packaging modules)
 * new features in Perl (eg: 5.10)
 * futures (eg: the state of Perl6 implementations)
 * tools (eg: Padre, Perl::Critic) etc.

So please reply here on the list or talk to me directly.  Let me know
your ideas and what you can do to help.  Once we've got some feedback
I'll try and knock it into a proposal. Let's make this happen!