[Wellington-pm] AJAX and Catalyst.pm

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Oct 29 17:28:27 PDT 2008

Grant McLean <grant at mclean.net.nz> writes:
> On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 12:43 +1300, Dave Moskovitz wrote:
>
>> One of my clients has asked me to add some AJAX eye-candy to a
>> Catalyst.pm app ... does anyone have good success stories with any
>> particular framework (eg Dojo, Prototype, ExtJS, etc) ?

[...]

> More recently I have been using JQuery because smart people say it's
> good and it doesn't have the namespace pollution problems of
> Prototype.  I've only done small things with JQuery so far but they've
> all worked.

Let me echo this: jQuery has been great for me, and is both broadly
supported and easy to extend with additional features that you need.

It also has the advantage of broad industry support, with both Nokia and
Microsoft committing to it as a platform, in addition to other open
supporters.

If you were looking to build a JavaScript *application*[1] rather than
enhance a standard web application then the YUI framework is excellent.

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  The sort of thing where you build it like a desktop application,
     only it happens to run inside a web browser.