Calling perl from a SSI

Don Jones don at gamma.net.nz
Wed Oct 9 19:20:00 CDT 2002

Hi - Im not much of a web developer but an tryingto to something you guys may
be able to help with:

I want to run a perl script every time a certain html page is accessed, the
script doesnt need to write anything back to the browser so doesnt need to be
GCI but I want to pass it variables from the html page - some of the variables
are javascript variables used in the html and others are just the environment
variables HTTP_USER_AGENT & REMOTE_ADDR, it seems that either i should make
the page a cgi - but it has quite a bit of java script in it so this is not
that appealing, or I thought i could just call the perl script using SSI exec
but im not sure you can pass args via SSI - does anyone know how to do this?

Am i missing some other obvious way of doing this?

the perl script would just write a line to a log file using the variables
passed to it.

Ideas appreciated

Don Jones

--
"Intellectual Property" : a tool that the dinosaurs use to make sure
there are no mammals in the future. - Lawrence Lessig