Perl Mongers Meeting Next Wednesday

Grant McLean grantm at web.co.nz
Thu Mar 2 14:56:19 CST 2000

Fellow Mongers:

I meant to get this reminder out a little earlier but here goes:

  Meeting:    Wellington Perl Mongers
  Start Time: 5:30pm Wednesday 8th March
  Location:   The Web Limited
              Level 8, 86 Lambton Quay

The 'agenda' this time:

 - Stephen Judd will talk on 'Beyond CGI' (touching on technologies
   like mod_perl, embperl ...)

 - I'll talk about 'Packaging a Module for CPAN' based on my
   XML::Simple experiences

 - Group Therapy session - I was going to label this 'Ask the Doctor'
   but was unsure who to appoint as Doctor :-)

**** What you need to do ****

To help the Group Therapy session along, I'd like everyone to
come prepared:

  1. Think of something related to Perl that you
        a) always wanted to know
     or b) think everyone else needs to know

  2. Summarise the essence of your question/tip in less than 5 words

  3. Write those words on the back of a business card (or something
     else with your name on it)

  4. Bring the card with you on Wednesday and drop it in the 'hat'
     on the way in.

Here's an example:

  You think everyone needs to know about what happens when you
  set the special Perl variable $/ to the empty string.  So you
  write 'paragraph slurping' on a card and drop it in the hat.

  At the Mongers meeting, we will draw out as many cards as we
  have time for.  If your card is drawn, you should be prepared
  to stand up and talk about the subject for 5 minutes.  Of course
  if it was a question, you just need to be prepared to clearly
  state the question and the group will take over from there.

Spread the word, bring a friend, let people know about the
group and the mailing list:

  If you know someone who wants to subscribe to this list,
  tell them to send mail to majordomo at pm.org with the
  following command in the body of the message:

    subscribe wellington-pm-list

  If (heaven forbid) you want to remove yourself from this
  mailing list, you can send mail to <majordomo at pm.org> with
  the following command in the body of your email message:

    unsubscribe wellington-pm-list

See you there

Grant McLean       | email: grantm at web.co.nz | Lvl 8, 86 Lambton Quay
The Web Limited    | WWW:   www.web.co.nz    | PO Box 15-175
Internet Solutions | Tel:   (04) 495 8250    | Wellington
Awesome service    | Fax:   (04) 495 8259    | New Zealand