Visual Development Environments

Dave Moskovitz DaveM at web.co.nz
Sun Nov 7 15:04:51 CST 1999

At our meeting of the Wellington Perl Mongers last week, Roger asked if
anyone knew about visual development environments.  In fact, the most
recent The Perl Journal (http://www.tpj.com/) has an article in it
describing ptkdb (http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/A/AE/AEPAGE/), an
open-source debugger based on TK which runs on most platforms.  There's
also an ad for PerlBuilder (Wintel only)
(http://www.solutionsoft.com/perl.htm) on the inside front cover, and
ActiveState do indeed also have a product, the "Perl Debugger" (also
Wintel only), which is described as a lightweight but powerful debugger
... see http://www.activestate.com/pdk/

Looks like the market for visual debugging is in the Wintel arena.  Not
unexpected.

If people want to volunteer to give these a spin and report back for the
next meeting (early Feb 2000), that would be great!  Please contact me
to coordinate, so we don't have 3 people reviewing the same product...

See ya
Dave

Dave Moskovitz  : Technical Director : The Web Limited
davem at web.co.nz : http://web.co.nz/
Level 8, 86 Lambton Quay, PO Box 15 175, Wellington NZ
Tel 04 495 8250 : Fax 04 495 8259 : Mob 025 964 132