[Vienna-pm] Robot Turtles - a board game to teach programming

Thomas Klausner domm at cpan.org
Tue Sep 17 04:12:28 PDT 2013

Hi!

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 11:34:53AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danshapiro/robot-turtles-the-board-game-for-little-programmer

> I am intrigued by this. Partly because someone (can't find the attribution)
> commented that for an adult, children's games seem to partition either into
> pure chance (E has at least one like this) or where the adult is subtly
> trying to loose*. So this looks like fun, even without the ulterior motive**

That's not true. There are lots of games where youngish kids (ok,
probably not E's age, but 6-8+) have good chances of winning without
just having luck. (of course you'll have to train them a bit first)

Here are two other "programming-like" games (I (or I and Samo) own both,
so you could borrow them):
Robot Rally
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18/roborally
(I don't agree with 12+, I've played it with 7 year olds..)

Mutant Meeples
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/109969/mutant-meeples

And I have a nice boardgame "port" of Snake lying around for two years.
(which was accepted for review by a Kosmos, but finally rejected for
being a bit to complex, and even though I reworked it a bit I never got
around to submit it to another company - but if somebody wants to
playtest, be my guest!)

> 3) So, is anyone else interested?

Yes. My kids already have outgrown this game, but my siblings kids
(notice the effort I wen through to avoid looking up Neffen and
Nichten) didn't

If it's around 30/40€ it's a tiny bit expensive, but what the hell.
More than 40 would be too much (if it's calculateable..)

Greetings,
domm

--
#!/usr/bin/perl                              http://domm.plix.at