[VPM] link 'bot' protection

Matt Elrod matt at elrod.ca
Mon Feb 23 17:24:36 PST 2009

I sometimes obscure the "action" in my forms with javascript.

Obviously you can look at the referrer, but it too can be
easily forged.

You can have your form send a token to your cgi.  I sometimes have
the form insert a unix timestamp in a hidden field and then reject
post data if it comes in too fast or too slow.  That is, each
generation of the form is only good for X minutes.

Granted, this technique could be reverse engineered, and the
parasite might insert a valid timestamp in their post data,
but I expect it thwarts most unwelcome accesses.

HTH,

Matt