[VPM] Victoria.pm Meeting?

Tue Sep 25 13:13:58 PDT 2007

At 5:42 PM +0000 9/25/07, mock wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 07:58:00AM -0700, Peter Scott wrote:
>>  Hi.  It's been ... a while since we met.  UVic was a great place to
>>  meet.  Do we have anyone who can secure a room for us there, or any
>  > suggestions for somewhere else to meet (that you know you can
>gain access to)?

Although it isn't all Perl, I will think we can timeslice with RCSS,
who have a meeting room every month at UVIC.  That said ...

>Enquisite, where I work, is willing to host a meeting.  They have a room with
>a projector available.

I would be happy with this arrangement too.  And I would be
interested in visiting the Enquisite site (205-3347 Oak Street, just
north of Mayfair?).

>  > News from OSCON is that the authors are starting the Perl 6 books
>>  (Learning, Programming)... no promises on the release date for Perl 6
>>  itself but the books will take about 6 months to write and 3 months for
>>  O'Reilly to produce.
>
>I didn't quite get that level of optimism when I was at YAPC::EU, but things
>do seem to be steadily moving along.  Speaking of which, I have a couple of
>20 minute talks that I did there if we're casting about for speakers.

As I mentioned to the RCSS people a week ago, I believe that starting
with their next meeting (probably, Tue, Oct 2), I can give short (eg,
30m) talks each month on Muldis DB, which is now complete enough to
be reasonably talked about, with examples of how to use.  The first
talk(s) won't have powerpoint, but I could demo it using a computer
hookup or on the whiteboard.

Initially I thought it best that I wouldn't headline a meeting,
another talk does that, but mine would be an additional talk to fill
time.

I can do likewise for Victoria.pm meetings, or if I'm far enough
along, actually headline myself.  But I recommend that our first next
meeting be headlined by someone else, such as whatever you guys
wanted to do.

I'm assuming that it is too late for us to gather tonight, too late a
notice, but we don't necessarily have to wait until the third tuesday
of October to meet ... depends if either a non-tuesday is okay, or if
there isn't crossover with VLUG (I won't leave RCSS though).  If we
change day of week, at least once, this wednesday / tomorrow would be
a conflict.

-- Darren Duncan