[VPM] Next meeting RFI

Mon Nov 5 13:41:22 PST 2007

At 12:48 PM -0800 11/5/07, Peter Scott wrote (off-list):
>May I please have, for the Nov 20 meeting:
>Suitable directions to the new location;
>Suitable description of Mock's talk and Darren's update.
>Thanks!

I actually saw your request for this on the list a couple weeks ago,
but had thought it okay to wait until the meeting was closer before
replying.

To be brief, my talk would be about the design of the Muldis D
language and of its implementation in the form of Muldis DB, where it
is a Perl hosted language that specializes in working with relational
databases.

Unlike other Perl tools for working with databases, the paradigm of
Muldis DB is based on storing all database centric code in databases
themselves as stored procedures, such that the databases are
essentially reusable program modules that also persist user data;
some databases could be code-only as well, making them essentially
Muldis D libraries; either way, the host Perl code would invoke these
procedures directly almost as if they were Perl subroutines.

Relevant urls include http://search.cpan.org/dist/Language-MuldisD/
and http://search.cpan.org/dist/Muldis-DB/ .

I do not expect to have any slideshow, but I can do walkthrus of code
and/or design docs.

I won't know until the meeting date is closer as to whether I can
demonstrate it actually running or not, but I will try.

-- Darren Duncan