[VPM] ANNOUNCE: first email forums for QDRDBMS are active

Mon Jan 29 16:42:02 PST 2007

Hello,

This email concerns an unreleased new Perl DBMS
module/framework/engine that has separate Perl 5 and Perl 6 versions;
the Perl 5 version is named QDRDBMS, and serves as a prototype for
the Perl 6 version, which will have a different name, though the Perl
5 version is expected to be used soon in production for several
years.  This is a rewritten successor to my "Rosetta" project, whose
name won't be used anymore.

QDRDBMS has not yet been released on CPAN, and I don't intend to put
it there until it is complete enough to support a simple working
demo, though I hope that will happen some time in February.
Meanwhile, its various pieces can be seen at
http://darrenduncan.net/QDRDBMS/ as a work in progress.

QDRDBMS is a self-contained fully-featured RDBMS implemented in Perl,
a fact  which is strongly emphasized.  (FYI, see also Genezzo on
CPAN.)  But it has swappable engines (as DBI has swappable drivers),
and with an appropriate engine substitution, the QDRDBMS API can
alternately be used as a front for some other DBMS, such as what DBI
and its wrappers do, and its API can be targeted by other wrappers.
Or its query language / AST can used as an interchange language.

This email is to let you know that I have gone and created some
project specific mailing lists, which is where future discussions of
the project can be focused, and which will be cited in the project
documentation as official forums.

see the 3 mailing lists that I created for QDRDBMS.  You can view the
web archive of existing messages, and subscribe to the list if you
want to post your own, or get them in your inbox.  These are the
lists:

----------

  * qdrdbms-announce at mm.darrenduncan.net

This low-volume list is mainly for official announcements from the
QDRDBMS developers, though developers of QDRDBMS extensions can also
post their announcements here.  This is not a discussion list.

  * qdrdbms-users at mm.darrenduncan.net

This list is for general discussion among people who are using QDRDBMS,
which is not concerned with the implementation of QDRDBMS itself.  This
is the best place to ask for basic help in getting QDRDBMS installed on
your machine or to make it do what you want.  You could also submit
feature requests or report perceived bugs here, if you don't want to
use CPAN's RT system.

  * qdrdbms-devel at mm.darrenduncan.net

This list is for discussion among people who are designing or
implementing the QDRDBMS core API (including QDRDBMS D language
design), or who are implementing QDRDBMS Engines, or who are writing
core documentation, tests, or examples.  It is not the place for
non-implementers to get help in using said.

DBI; the above 3 are intended for analagous purposes.  Also like the
DBI lists, any list member can post to any list, though non-members
can not post to them.

Note that I anticipate the lists will have no messaging activity for
the first few weeks, but that should start about when I make my first
CPAN release of QDRDBMS, expected in about a month or so.

But I am telling you about the lists now, so that when someone wants
to make a post, there would be a fair number of people in position to
read it.

Thank you in advance for any interest you may have in QDRDBMS.

-- Darren Duncan