[VPM] multiple questions and answers

Mon Jul 31 12:27:56 PDT 2006

At 7:16 PM -0700 7/29/06, Jeremy Aiyadurai wrote (by private email):
>hello Darren,

Hello Jeremy,

Note that I made this reply public since others could benefit from the answers.

>P.S. the VPM mailing list seems dead, I have tried posting messages
>but no-one seems to respond, and there seems to be little
>discussion. Whats wrong?

The list isn't dead, and I have seen several messages from you.  But
I think many of them weren't answered because no one who saw them
could think of any quick and simple solutions, other than to look or
ask somewhere else.  (Also, you shouldn't post the same question
multiple times in short succession.)

All this said, I sent replies just now to your last 3 (unanswered) questions.

>Also, I have heard that companies like IBM give away patents for
>open-source projects. Is this still true. Can I get one for free?

Forget about it.  Software patents are evil and are best ignored.
Don't try to look for or obtain any patent grants no matter what they
say.  Patents are hard to search, mostly useless, and largely
unenforceable.

Just go about and do your work, and pretend that there are no patents.

>I am going full steam ahead, in making major project (not complete
>yet -will have a perl component) of mine open-source using the GPL
>license. I would also like to make some income from the project. My
>Question is: how do I setup a dual license? eg. GPL for personal use
>and non-profit business and Commercial license ($$$) for proprietory
>integration. Can this be done? how?

Dual-licensing can be done easily.  Just release your project under
the GPL as per a plain GPL project.  Assuming you are the only author
of the project (or other contributors agree to turn over their
copyright interests to you and/or give you unlimited permission to
use and sublicense as you see fit), you can additionally  license the
project to people under proprietary terms.  If people want a non-GPL
license, such as if they want their changes to be proprietary, they
can contact you to ask for a proprietary license.  You can also make
money from supporting the project or customization even for people
that just use the GPL license.  Various companies such as MySQL AB go
this route.

-- Darren Duncan