[VPM] Perl Mongers Meeting tomorrow

Peter Scott Peter at PSDT.com
Mon Jul 17 10:51:14 PDT 2006

Victoria.pm will meet at its regular date and time at 7:00 pm tomorrow,
Tuesday, May 16, at UVic in ECS 660 (Engineering Computer Science, new
building next to the engineering wing, see bottom left of C4 at
http://www.uvic.ca/maps/2dmap.html).

I will give a preview of my OSCON session "Mind Like Water: The Path to
Perl Bliss" (http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/os2006/view/e_sess/8875).

Darren Duncan will give an overview of recent exciting Perl 6 developments:

>As an example development, we now have a working subset of and
>rapidly improving implementation of Perl 6, called v6.pm, using pure
>Perl 5 (such as Moose and other CPAN modules).  You can write Perl 6
>code that is compiled to Perl 5 and integratable into a Perl 5
>environment, so it is practically useable right now.  No Haskell or
>Parrot necessary, though the Haskell implementation is currently
>further ahead as to the level of Perl 6 implemented (v6 will probably
>catch up soon), and in the long term Parrot will be the fastest
>implementation.

(Courtesy copy to VLUG and VOSSOC members by permission of the list
managers.  Victoria.pm's home page is <http://victoria.pm.org/>.)
--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies