[VPM] the July meeting

Sun Jul 16 02:26:56 PDT 2006

At 11:32 AM -0700 6/13/06, Peter Scott wrote:
>The June Perl Mongers meeting is cancelled; part of the meeting on July
>18 will be devoted to a preview of my OSCON session, "Mind Like Water:
>The Path to Perl Bliss".  Anyone with ideas for the other half of the
>time, please contact me.  Thanks.

Regarding filling out the July meeting,

I could also take a bit of time and share the latest goings-on in the
development group for Perl 6, as I am regularly/actively involved in
it.  Both interesting developments project wise, but I can also share
recent updates to the language design itself, and maybe demo some
Perl 6 code or answer any questions about Perl 6 from people.

As an example development, we now have a working subset of and
rapidly improving implementation of Perl 6, called v6.pm, using pure
Perl 5 (such as Moose and other CPAN modules).  You can write Perl 6
code that is compiled to Perl 5 and integratable into a Perl 5
environment, so it is practically useable right now.  No Haskell or
Parrot necessary, though the Haskell implementation is currently
further ahead as to the level of Perl 6 implemented (v6 will probably
catch up soon), and in the long term Parrot will be the fastest
implementation.

That's very exciting news, and in fact I've decided to suspend any
further development of newer CPAN modules written in Perl 5, and will
be writing only the Perl 6 versions, since they are easier to write
and should be invokable in Perl 5 code.  My first such Perl 6 module
that I expect to get working, and released on CPAN, is Set::Relation,
that lets you manipulate data in your own programs in ways that you
would normally use a SQL database to provide.

-- Darren Duncan