[VPM] spliting lines using unpack

Peter Scott Peter at PSDT.com
Thu Dec 28 10:53:01 PST 2006

At 11:28 PM 12/26/2006, abez wrote:

>I don't want to be mean or anything but if you're using perl you shouldn't
>worry too much about performance.

But actually it is known that many Perl builtin functions are at least
as fast as their C brethren because they are implemented in hand
optimized C.  Let me know if you desire a citation, but I'm sure you
can find what I'm talking about.  It's entirely likely that in this
case the time required for either a split or an unpack will rival the
best the poster can do by any other means.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies