[VPM] P5P future plans

Thu Dec 7 19:43:44 PST 2006

At 6:06 PM -0800 12/7/06, Darren Duncan wrote:
>At 8:59 AM -0800 12/7/06, Peter Scott wrote:
<snip>
>On that note, I don't follow the P5P channels, but it looks like you do ...
>
>Can you tell me whether the P5P are still in feature-adding mode, or
>are they now in the stabilize-and-bugfix-for-release mode?  Is there
>a ballpark for when 5.10.0 might be released?  Also, is there likely
>to be another 5.8.x release first (now 10+ months since the last)?
>
>More generally, can you tell me where I can look for a P5P TODO
>document that shows things remaining in the 5.9.x branch, so I can
>look back to it and see things being ticked off over time?
>
>Also, while it looks like version.pm and Module::Build are in 5.9.x,
>which is nice, do you know if CPANPLUS (used by the CPAN Testers) is
>going to get included with it too (as I heard some time back), or are
>users still going to have to use CPAN.pm by default?

After sending the above, I was able to find some answers online that
I was unable to find before.

This P5P thread from about 2 weeks ago seems to collect the main issues:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/perl/porters/210400

So from that, I found what the main TODO items are, that CPANPLUS
will indeed be added to the core soon, that a 5.9.5 release is
imminent with a 5.9.6 (5.10.0-beta) to be released after 5.9.5 is
tested with lots of CPAN.

-- Darren Duncan