[VPM] P5P future plans (was Re: perl 5 and hyper operators on lists)

Thu Dec 7 18:06:53 PST 2006

At 8:59 AM -0800 12/7/06, Peter Scott wrote:
>At 11:30 PM 12/6/2006, Darren Duncan wrote:
>>  >Can Hyper operators be implemented in perl 5?..and will this still offer
>>  >better performance than loops?
>>
>>They can probably be implemented in Perl 5, but doing it faster will
>>undoubtedly require an XS implementation.  That said, the v6.pm
>>implementation of Perl 6 over Perl 5 will have to make hyper-ops work
>>somehow.
>
>The current ruling on P5P is that there will be no new operators added
>to Perl 5.

FYI, when I said "implemented in Perl 5", I was in no way suggesting
that it be added to the Perl core itself; rather, I was saying more
what I thought it would take to make an extension module for Perl 5
that provided hyper-operators.

>   // and ~~ have already been aded to 5.8.10-to-be, but
>that's it.  Of course, never say Never...

On that note, I don't follow the P5P channels, but it looks like you do ...

Can you tell me whether the P5P are still in feature-adding mode, or
are they now in the stabilize-and-bugfix-for-release mode?  Is there
a ballpark for when 5.10.0 might be released?  Also, is there likely
to be another 5.8.x release first (now 10+ months since the last)?

More generally, can you tell me where I can look for a P5P TODO
document that shows things remaining in the 5.9.x branch, so I can
look back to it and see things being ticked off over time?

Also, while it looks like version.pm and Module::Build are in 5.9.x,
which is nice, do you know if CPANPLUS (used by the CPAN Testers) is
going to get included with it too (as I heard some time back), or are
users still going to have to use CPAN.pm by default?

-- Darren Duncan