[VPM] Victoria Perl Mongers meet on March 15

Peter Scott Peter at PSDT.com
Fri Mar 11 18:51:40 PST 2005

Victoria.pm will meet at its regular date, time, and place on Tuesday,
March 15, 7pm, at UVic, in Harry Hickman Building 120.  (That's the
Building Formerly Known as the Centre for Innovative Teaching.  No word
on whether it's still innovative.)  See http://uvic.ca/ for maps.

Darren Duncan will lead a discussion on Perl 6 and Pugs:

>Pugs is a Perl 6 implementation written in Haskell.  While I don't
>know any Haskell, this is still a great opportunity to write Perl 6
>code that can actually be executed on something.  Pugs is intended to
>help flesh out edge cases in the Perl 6 spec and comes in advance of
>anything working on Parrot.
>
>My main role right now is writing a bunch of Perl 6 code that can be
>done for integration testing, which is using a variety of language
>features together.  I have started translating my Perl 5 modules into
>Perl 6, along with their tests.  In doing so, we can get an idea just
>how everything would be done in Perl 6 for work that actually does
>something useful, and isn't just a "sample".
>
>I have already translated my Locale::KeyedText module, whose Perl 6
>form you can see in the Pugs version control.  Or wait a few days for
>the next weekly CPAN upload.  I couldn't actually execute it yet,
>because Pugs is missing some features that it needs, but the fact that
>I coded this in advance can help them when adding support for said
>features to Pugs.  My code probably has errors in it.
>
>One thing I can do in the March meeting is have 2 print outs of the
>module, showing the Perl 5 and Perl 6 versions side by side.  I can
>also relate some interesting Perl 6 language features that I recently
>discovered.

Other topics to be covered as time permits; make requests for anything
particular.

(Courtesy copy to VLUG members by permission of the list
manager.  Victoria.pm's home page is <http://victoria.pm.org/>.)

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies