[VPM] Re: RFC: multi-package module best practices

Tue Mar 9 17:03:58 CST 2004

This email is a follow-up to my emails of March 4th and 5th, all
having the same email subject.  Have a look at them to see the
context for what I say here.

I am writing to let any interested parties know what I actually did
do concerning the matters I asked about, where there were several
instances of multiple package declarations within a single module.
The modules in question were: Locale::KeyedText, SQL::SyntaxModel,
Rosetta.

1. I removed all of the "::_::" from the package names that contained
it, so for example SQL::SyntaxModel::_::Node became
SQL::SyntaxModel::Node.

2. I removed the obfuscation so all of the package names not get indexed.

3. Any "*::Shared" private packages were removed as their own
package, and merged into the module name-sake package.

4. I added a documentation section called CLASSES IN THIS MODULE just
beneath the DESCRIPTION in each module, to spell out what packages
are declared, so someone knows what they can invoke and what names to
not use for their own modules.

5. I did *not* split up the modules so that each package was in its
own; it did not seem appropriate (though I won't rule it out some
time in the future).

The changed versions have all been uploaded to CPAN, yesterday or earlier.

So thanks to the 3 of you that gave me feedback, and to all have a good day.

This thread is now closed.

-- Darren Duncan