[VPM] Minorly tweaked program used in July meeting

Wed Jul 21 21:28:12 CDT 2004

At 5:24 PM -0700 7/21/04, Peter Scott wrote:
>I would like to thank Duncan for his talk and demonstration of his
>code, which I think is remarkably clean.  I did not know about
>DBD::SQLite before this talk, but now I expect to use it a lot.

Thanks for the comment.

Incidentally, this may just come down to "everyone knows their own
code best", but in my opinion I do have cleaner code than anyone else
on CPAN, that I am aware of.  But this is the first time someone
explicitely said so.  For the Perl community at large, it could serve
as ammunition against all those people that think Perl is a
write-only language.

As an update on the DBD::SQLite thing, the last thing I read on the
SQLite users list is that the version for SQLite 3.0 has passed all
of its major development hurdles, so I believe a version of
DBD::SQLite incorporating 3.0 is imminent.  Unless you need to ship a
solution immediately, I suggest starting with 3.0.  According to DRH,
3.0 should be in production-ready status in August, but the timing
depends on how many people test it in their work environments.  All
of his own tests, plus all regression tests, already pass.

-- Darren Duncan