[VPM] Fwd: Perl programmer needed for small project

Tue Jan 6 16:02:38 CST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Peter Scott wrote:
> The following just came in.  I am making the executive decision that
> this list permits job opportunity postings until such time as the
> volume thereof becomes intolerable :-)  Remember that your response may
> be perceived as reflecting to some small degree upon the nascent
> reputation of our group.

Peter, first of all, feel free to post all the Perl job opportunities you
want, until volume becomes intolerable.

On my part, this position you forwarded sounds like something I could do,
and depending how good their code is, something that could be simple and
easy.  And I am technically unemployed right now.  And that job does go
straight to my expertise.

My main reservation against taking this position is that I am trying to
create something of my own as soon as possible, and doing another person's
project, especially if recurring, could seriously hamper this.

So does this sound like a valid concern or would I be better off to
contact that person?

Something I'm considering is contacting the person to say that I could be
available, but that I have existing projects on the go and would prefer to
"be the backup option" if another suitable person can't be found.  Also, I
prefer to work either from home or from a Sidney/Victoria location
(their equipment in the latter case).

If I do volunteer, and I don't know the overhead of trying to understand
another person's code, should I request to get paid by the hour or for the
job?

In the end, what action of mine would best reflect on VPM?

Thanks for any helpful information. -- Darren Duncan