[VPM] CGI questions, and O'Reilly

Nathanael Kuipers nkuipers at uvic.ca
Thu May 15 19:40:22 CDT 2003

Curses, though I am interested in the O'Reilly pass, I cannot afford even
accomodations/transport I am sure.  Although I might be able to convince my
boss to send me, I can't be certain of this...so I guess you can count me
in...

I also have a couple of CGI questions.

I've written this CGI that creates a form (I could have used straight HTML
much more easily, or functional syntax, but I am trying to learn OO CGI.pm).
In every CGI tutorial I've read, printing the Content-Type header is mandatory
so that the cgi knows what it's looking at.  So, the first thing my CGI object
does is call header().  However, in the resulting HTML page, this sticks out
like a sore thumb.   Question 1: am I stuck with this?  I'm also getting
infuriating warnings from Perl as follows:

[Thu May 15 17:54:23 2003] test.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in length at
(eval 8) line 11.
[Thu May 15 17:54:23 2003] test.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in join or
string at (eval 15) line 15.
[Thu May 15 17:54:23 2003] test.cgi: Use of uninitialized value in join or
string at (eval 15) line 15.

I'm not sure what these mean, or if I should worry about them since they don't
hinder in any way the generation of my form page.  Question 2: What is the
concencus on this?

I've attached the script itself as well as the HTML page I get from running
it.

Thanks,

Nathanael