[Re: [VPM] Correct List?]

Sun Jun 29 00:25:54 CDT 2003

Timothy said:
>Thanks for the reply:) However I don't know what GD is. Is it a CPAN
>module? I was kind of hoping this would be a fairly simple thing to
>do (like reading bitmaps) and it'd be a few lines of code with no
>external libraries. I guess I also wanted to understand the format.
>However at this point I just want it working...

GD is a library for creating bitmap images on the fly or editing existing ones, and it can translate a variety of image formats, especially PNG.  The library is written in C for efficiency and it has Perl bindings.

Have a look here: http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/GD/

And here: http://www.boutell.com/gd/

I don't know from personal experience how to install C extensions to Perl, as I have never compiled Perl myself, but used precompiled binaries.  So I'm not exactly sure what is entailed in installing GD, unless it already comes with your distro.  Just try saying "use GD" in a Perl program and see if it compiles.  If it is already installed, then you have a cakewalk.

-- Darren Duncan