Perl 5.8 threads and sockets problem

Peter Scott Peter at PSDT.com
Tue Feb 25 19:07:01 CST 2003

At 05:01 PM 2/25/03 -0800, you wrote:

>Peter,
>
>Thanks for your reply. The script I am using is to test the use of
>sockets and threads or (forks). Basically, I would like to get this
>working so I can incorporate it into a program I am working on that
>will be a Win32 service (or unix Daemon) that checks many mail
>accounts for new messages at the same time, every few minutes or seconds.

Okay.  Answer depends on how complicated you want to get.  For maximum
scalability I would use POE (Perl Object Environment) and their
SocketFactory wheel if they haven't already written a POP3 wheel (see
http://poe.perl.org).  All the concurrency you want without either
threads or forking.

It will take a while to work through the learning curve but the
resulting program will be more maintainable than anything else that
could be as scalable.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies