[VPM] April meeting suggestion

Carl B. Constantine cconstan at csc.UVic.CA
Fri Apr 4 17:29:19 CST 2003

*On Fri Apr 04, 2003 at 03:26:09PM -0800, Darren Duncan (darren at DarrenDuncan.net) wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Carl B. Constantine wrote:
> > I don't have a problem.
>
> Me neither.  In fact, if someone's going to be a serious user of any
> language, it would be very helpful to know to use built-in debuggers.
> Until now, I've just been littering my code with print like statements,
> which for some bugs can be really annoying and take several hours to trace
> something down. -- Darren Duncan

Particularly in Perl. You can do stuff like:

if ($debug) {
  (do debug stuff);
}

But, with perl, that symbol is always checked which adds to code bloat
for production code. It can't be compiled out like in C (at least not to
my knowledge).

--
Carl B. Constantine         University of Victoria
Programmer Analyst          http://www.csc.uvic.ca