You down with OOP...

nkuipers nkuipers at uvic.ca
Mon Oct 21 13:04:42 CDT 2002

>Incidentally, how much data do you expect to end up storing in one of
>these objects, and how many instances per execution?

I am not sure but I think that as a simple object, description and sequence is
sufficient, because they are all that is required for biologically relevant
operations like masking all occurences of a certain substring, producing the
[reverse] complement of the sequence, getting the sequence length, comparing
to other sequences, and so forth.  I am guessing there would be a severe
bottleneck though if I used this in my real work...I typically deal with over
15,000 sequences at a time.  Now, I could always populate an array (or
something) with objects and wield them en masse, but the overhead of 15,000+
objects, even if they were small like the little driver I showed, would be
significant perhaps?

Nathanael