suggest DBIx::Concept for module name?

Wed Nov 20 12:44:32 CST 2002

This comment is largely for those of you at last night's meeting who heard
or participated in the end of my discussion, which involved a new Perl
module I wanted to make and release on CPAN, which can be construed as a
thin and fast layer on top of DBI.  That is the context of the next
paragraph...

Perhaps something like DBIx::Concept might be a good module name.  Besides
being shortish and somewhat unique, it describes one of the main purposes
of the module.  Part of the module purpose is to let one communicate with
the database using terminology or database feature concepts that more
closely mirror what they actually 'mean' to ask or do.  The module
abstracts away the specific sql syntax for doing what they mean, usually
in the more efficient manner, and sometimes implementing said features
where the underlying dbms doesn't support them directly.  A driving
purpose is to allow application code to be easier to understand, document,
change, as well as smaller or more concise.  A related objective is that
the program can do anything with the database by just calling functions
named after what they want to do (generic with arguments) and it is so
applications never have to write sql themselves (although there is
allowance for this).  Other module suggestions,
probably not as good, include likes of 'DBIx::Portable' or
'DBIx::Abstract' or 'DBIx::Functional', but I like the sound of
'DBIx::Concept' better.

I did a search on CPAN and there doesn't seem to be any existing module
named 'DBIx::Concept' or similar.  What do you think of my suggested
module name, given what you know from discussion?

-- Darren Duncan