Meeting - Tuesday Nov 19

Thu Nov 14 19:26:47 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Peter Scott wrote:
> Topic?  Duncan, you want to speak?

Sure.  There are several things that I could talk about, depending on the
interests of who is there.  I will try to email some preparatory materials
to the list at least a day before the meeting (such as on the weekend).
It probably won't be the same format as that nice lesson on
object-orientedness we had last time, but I expect something should work
out.  I was going to talk about one or more of the following: 1. effective
web applications; 2. how to talk to databases with DBI and/or general
relational database theory; 3. how to design a relational database; 4. a
workshop where we do some design work on a real module that provides a
high-level database interface (to program code, not direct to users).
Regardless of what happens at the meeting, I plan to send some specs or
initial design work on the module set for #4 to the list on the weekend.
Basically, aside from generic Perl fundamentals like data structures and
control structures or reading/writing text files, it is the web and
database stuff that I know the best and have greatest interest in.  As a
fore-warning, I use objects in all but the simplest of my Perl code,
especially anything meant to be reusable.  If any of you want to do
something else at the meeting, or have specific questions you want
answered then, please email them to the list in advance so there is the
best chance that I can do any needed preparation (although I may not
need any preparation); of course, it could be the type of question that
anyone could answer on the list anyway. -- Darren Duncan