[Van-pm] January van.pm meeting

Alex Pavlovic alex.pavlovic at taskforce-1.com
Fri Jan 27 11:27:22 PST 2006

Hi,

Luke Closs wrote:
>>Catalyst is already passe.  Jifty is what all the cool kids are using
>>now (it's true - I asked them).

Jifty is tied to a specific templating system, if you want to use for example
TT, there is lot of hacking to be done to make this work. Even worse it uses
HTML::Mason which in my opinion is horrible way to do your presentation. But
I guess if you are looking for something quick and dirty, then this might be
down your alley.

Not sure If I fully could understand you why is Catalyst passe ? Catalyst
development has been going strong and steady for quite some time, go onto
mailing lists or irc channel. It's far more flexible in my opinion then
jifty. It's not tied into anything specific. It comes with variety of
plugins, models and views to help you get things done in sensible manner. I
recently completed ajax based web application with catalyst using models I
wrote for it, and I am glad it was done in catalyst. Flow control / dispatch,
auth with acls, sessions were some of the things that were a breeze.

>>Having said that, I still think any Catalyst talk would be
>>interesting... :)

Probably too late now for that, but I did a presentation for the place I work
at, 2 months ago.

>>Also, I've been talking with GSAR about his talk.  He's not sure what
>>he should present on that will be interesting.  Does anyone have ideas
>>or requests?

Thanks.