Just to say hello. -> Book reviews

Chris Benson chrisb at jesmond.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 13:46:57 CST 2002

Hi Nick

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:27:43AM +0000, nick at unfortu.net wrote:

> Book review! Book review! :-)

That reminds me that I was going to do a review of "The Unix
Defenestration Guide" over the hols and post it to London.pm.

I haven't done it yet, but I guess I'll post it here first :-)

Book reviews would be useful though -- Tom Christiansen's reviews page
seems to be dormant so new views of new books would be v.useful.

<excuse>I'm busy setting up new machines at the moment.</excuse>.

But here's my Perl favourites.

* Programming Perl (1st ed.) the best computer book since ... K&R's CPL,
and The Elements of Programming Style.

* Programming Perl (2nd ed.) lost much of the wit, humour and usability
of the 1st ed.  Much more reference material, duplication the on-line
docs.

* Object Oriented Perl, the best book since Programming Perl 1st ed.

* Network Programming with Perl, is complete and well written, but just
like Stevens' "Unix Network Programming" with Perl instead of C.

... that's all the Perl books I hold an opinion on at the moment.
--
Chris Benson