[Tucson-pm] What the Perl Mongers meeting was like last week (on July 13th)

Chris Niswander cn-4-perl-users-group at bitboost.com
Mon Jul 19 16:47:28 CDT 2004

I arrived at about 6:05, to find Steve Baker and Paul Scott
already there.  We hung out and chatted about Perl and related topics
until a little after 8pm.  (Any errors in the following summary are my own.)

Steve talked some about how Perl is used internally at AOL for many
things, including version control.  In his work for AOL he programs in Perl
for hours every day.  He said that of the seventeen different platforms
he supports within AOL (various versions of UNIX and Windows), the only
languages he's gotten to compile on all seventeen are Perl and TCL
(gcc was too much of a struggle on IRIX and AIX.)

I was intrigued to hear that his experience programming in Perl
made LISP easier for him, presumably because some of Perl's more
advanced features helped him to better relate to LISP.

Paul develops software and teaches, and also uses computers to help him
with writing music and typesetting it as sheet music.  His use of Perl
includes connecting together pieces of C++ code in music software.

I was kind of tired and IMHO didn't say much interesting at all!

We didn't get around to talking about when the next meeting should be.
I think we'll have to use this mailing list to work that out.

Chris
---