[tpm] September meeting: Lightning Talks!

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 17:52:17 PDT 2020

Hi All,

Thanks to the hardy souls who took part in the August meeting last week for
my Frankenstein's monster talk on coding standards. We ended up having some
really interesting discussions. I used jitsi for this meeting, and it
seemed to work fine, with the only proviso that everyone except the speaker
had to be muted during the presentations -- otherwise a lot of audio
bounced back from the presenter.

Fulko mentioned xxdiff, which is available from http://furius.ca/xxdiff/
although my browser told me the site wasn't safe -- so I installed it using
apt-get (on Ubuntu) which worked fine. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm
looking forward to it.

Seneca mentioned a couple of modules that she uses for testing,
Test::MockModule, DBD::CSV, SQL::Statement and Hook::Lexmap. We were
discussing simulating a database using CSV files at the time -- that's
something I'd like to learn more about.

I have already received an offer of two Lightning talks for September, one
from Olaf and one from Patrick. At YAPC::NA (now The Perl Conference),
these talks are pretty strictly limited to five minutes, time limits aren't
as strict with this group -- we just expect the talks to be on the short
side -- and they are not limited to Perl, pretty much anything tech-related
is fine. If I could get two or three more I think we'd have a full slate.

Thanks to everyone who comes out to these meetings -- we'll be virtual for
a while, but I'm looking forward to having a beer with everyone once this
is over.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler / Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Chair, Sponsorship Committee, TPF / https://www.perlfoundation.org/
Baritone, Operations Manager / Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com