[tpm] Looking ahead to June and July 2020

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:07:09 PDT 2020

Hi All,

Thanks to those who attended tonight's meeting, courtesy of streamyard's
free streaming offering. Tonight we discovered that streamyard only allows
six people's video feeds into the meeting,  everyone else was free to
listen and comment, so it still worked fine.

When I went to share the screen for my presentation, we
discovered something else new -- this site warned me that it has potential
issues with Chrome (which is the browser I usually use), and sure enough,
when it came time to share my screen, the feed from my second screen
flickered. I resolved this by moving my presentation to the laptop screen.

What would one of these meetings be without technical glitches? It's kind
of tradition now.

After my somewhat esoteric presentation on gotos and C development, we
heard from Jim Keenan who talked about The Perl Conference in the Cloud:

  https://perlconference.us/tpc-2020-cloud/

This virtual conference is how TPF is dealing with the pandemic; instead of
gathering in Houston at the end of June, we're going virtual! The sessions
are scheduled run from 11am to 630pm Eastern Time, with Birds of a Feather
gatherings before and after for anyone who wants to join in. This
conference is open, but The Perl Foundation is asking for a $10 donation to
help out (PS It's worth it! And TPF can use the money!) This schedule has
been set so that folks on the East coast can attend (8am's not too early!)
and the folks in Europe won't be up too much past midnight when the day
ends.

The individual talks will be available individually after the conference,
in case you want to go back and watch some of the content.

On a personal note, I'm working with Matthias Bloch on the TPF Fundraising
committee, so if you think your organization might have some training money
in the budget, Matthias and I would be happy to take that contact
information and see if they can sponsor for TPF.

So, TPCiC will keep us busy in June, so there will not be a Perlmongers
meeting in June, but we'll meeting again in July, and that date is July 30.
I'll start to agitate for material at the beginning of July.

Stay safe, be well.

Alex

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler / Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Operations Manager / Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com