[tpm] July meeting wrap-up

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:00:43 PDT 2020

Hi All,

Thanks to all who attended tonight's meeting, and to Jim Keenan who talked
to us about Perl 7.

I've been using the free service streamyard.com to stream the meetings
since Google closed Hangouts, and as a free service it has some
limitations, including allowing only six people's video streams on the main
page. Tonight I learned that it also limits us to ten attendees. This has
never been a problem before, but tonight I saw popups from Streamyard
helpfully telling me that there were additional people who wanted to join
-- and they could only do that if some people left the meeting. Ugh.

Because of the pandemic, Google has announced that Google Meet is now
available to everyone, so I am going to do a trial run of that between now
and our next meeting -- August 27. Plan A will be to do that using the
toperlmongers GMail account. If that doesn't work, I'll see about using my
employer's corporate Google Meet account -- we've had over 200 attendees at
some of our All Hands meetings, so that should work -- I'll just have to
clear that usage with management.

Jim offered to answer more questions about Perl 7 on the perl.org IRC
server, in the #tpm channel .. I just checked it out (wow, adding a new
server to Hexchat is hard) and there he is.

I don't yet have any plans for our August meeting, so if you have something
in mind for a talk, please let me know! Thanks, and stay safe.

Alex

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler / Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Chair, Sponsorship Committee, TPF / https://www.perlfoundation.org/
Baritone, Operations Manager / Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com