[tpm] [Fwd: Perl and putative DLL Hell]

Todd Rinaldo toddr at cpanel.net
Thu Feb 6 14:16:04 PST 2020

> On Feb 6, 2020, at 3:49 PM, James E Keenan <jkeenan at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> On 2/6/20 3:07 PM, arocker at Vex.Net wrote:
>> I can'thelp with this, being seriously out of contact for another month.
>> Can anyone offer help/advice/suggestions?

Linux. The reference to DLL hell I think was an analogy.

> Is the problem that applications that include Perl that were running on Centos version 6 are having problems running on Centos 7 and/or 8.1? Can the reporter provide any specifics as to what Perl problems he is encountering on either OS, i.e., perl versions, CPAN module versions?

We build cpanel-perl on centos 6,7,8 and they work reliably with very little exception. I think there are 2-3 rpms we could not build on centos 8 and that was because the deprecated library was actually dropped from centos 8.

You can see all the built rpms here: http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/RPM/11.86/centos/8/x86_64/ <http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/RPM/11.86/centos/8/x86_64/>
the src.rpm files are here http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/RPM/11.86/src/ <http://httpupdate.cpanel.net/RPM/11.86/src/>

> Now, it so happens that last night at NYC BSD User Group, people got into an explanation of the relationship among Fedora (described as the open source bleeding edge of RedHat Linux development), RHEL (the corporate supported product which is frozen version of Fedora issued only once every several years -- and which is therefore always pretty much behind development versions) and Centos (community fork, de-branded of RHEL).  Implication (assuming all the details are true) is that Centos is always going to be behind the times; hence, any upgrade is going to be painful -- regardless of whether you're using Perl or anything else.

CentOS just takes the redhat src.rpm files and rebuilds them without the redhat branding. Yes there's a lag although that has been reduced as of RHEL 8.

Good luck
Todd Rinaldo