[tpm] [Fwd: Perl and putative DLL Hell]

arocker at Vex.Net arocker at Vex.Net
Thu Feb 6 12:07:23 PST 2020

I can'thelp with this, being seriously out of contact for another month.
Can anyone offer help/advice/suggestions?

Subject: Perl and putative DLL Hell
From:    "Dave Collier-Brown" <Dave.Collier-Brown at indexexchange.com>
Date:    Thu, February 6, 2020 10:05 am
To:      "Alan Rocker" <arocker at vex.net>

We have an "interesting" problem with perl on Centos 7 and 8. One of my
colleagues, Jourdain Casale  wrote:

Okay well if 7 is easier we are doing it first and Perl / CPAN / Linux
dependencies are really bad migrating to 8
6 is ancient a lot of CPAN won’t build in 8
Modules work great but only on the Linux they were built for
A lot of refactoring and risk in 8 vs 7

Jourdain Casale  9:47 AM
It’s dependency hell
Like the Linux Perl equivalents of DLL Hell in windows

We're running Centos 6, and I'd like us to go forward to 8 (8.1, actually)
but the teams who tried out updating the perl found it really hard on 8,
and hard enough on 7 that they put it off again and again.

If it's really as hard as they thought, I figure you've heard the
community talking a lot about it.  I do see some blathering via a google
search, but nothing as severe as was being reported to Jourdain.

Can you help?

--dave