[tpm] January meeting, February plans

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 09:04:30 PST 2020

Hi All,

We had a late cancellation for January's meeting, so instead, Sergio, Dave,
Rajah, Sachin and I talked about Perl-related topics, with Fulko listening
in remotely. Thanks again to Sachin and Flightnetwork for hosting the
meeting and providing pizza and beverages.

We came up with a couple of ideas for talks in February:
- I'm curious to get an update on what the status is about the TPM website;
I know there were some folks working on that during our November hackathon.
- Dave S talked about using audio for data transmission, so has said he'll
do a talk about that.
- New member Sergio S talked about the demand for Perl in Toronto, which
ended up being a discussion about the migration of Perl to Modern Perl and
to other languages (e.g., .Net), so he's said he'll do a talk as well.
This meeting will take place Thursday, February 27.

At the pub, Dave, Sergio and I talked about making a proposal to have
YAPC::NA (aka The Perl and Raku Conference) in Toronto. While I think it's
a terrific idea, I'm a little terrified at the prospect, because the
challenge will be to build a team like Richard did for 2005. At this point,
I'm aiming to create a proposal for 2022 .. proposals for 2021 will be due
in a couple of months, and I don't want to race to get something ready in
such a short time-frame. Sergio told me he ran YAPC::EU in 2009, so he has
plenty of experience -- and he's persuasive!

More updates later this month.

Alex

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler / Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Operations Manager / Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com