[tpm] Aftermath of September's Lightning Talks, looking forward to October

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 11:11:02 PDT 2019

Hi All,

Well, Murphy showed up at this month's talks again.

I arranged to use streamyard.com to stream this month's talks to Youtube,
and that worked well. But -- trying to connect my laptop to the screen in
Flightnetwork's conference room didn't work, even though I had (what I
thought were) the right connectors. So (thanks to Sachin's suggestion), I
shared my screen via meet.com for the local screen, and also shared my
screen for my own talk. Good thing the WiFi worked OK.

The good news was that I was able to add the other presenter's screens to
the stream and then share them -- but I couldn't find a way to show the
stream full-screen (I've written to streamyard.com asking about that) -- I
tried following the stream live on Youtube (so the image was going to
streamyard.com, on to Youtube, and finally back to the conference room),
but that introduced so much lag it wasn't workable. We ended up going back
to the Control Room view which was a smaller image, but had no lag.
Computers.

I do still need to go back to the video and edit out the Fiddling Around
portion of the presentation near the beginning, and I'll see if I can add
some titles.

For October, the last Thursday falls on Halloween, so in order to prevent a
scheduling conflict with Perlmongers who have kids, I'm going to suggest we
have our October meeting on the 24th. I will update the Meetup event later
today. I don't have a topic, but I believe Cees had a lightning talk ready
(but he was in California), so that's a possibility.

Thanks for your patience with my A/V battles -- one of these days,
everything will just work, and we'll look at each other with wonder. Maybe
.. by Christmas. ;) (Insert the expected punchline here.)

Alex

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler / Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Operations Manager / Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com