[tpm] Seeking advice on using Perl in a professional way

Olaf Alders olaf.alders at gmail.com
Thu May 4 20:03:51 PDT 2017

Hi Harold,

> On May 4, 2017, at 8:24 PM, Harold Tessmann <htessmann at control-tec.com> wrote:
>
> • Do you run Perl::Critic on your code? I know I’ll disable some of the rules, but is it more hassle overall than it’s worth? Similarly, PerlTidy: it seems useful for generating HTML versions of documentation, but I write code in a very precise way, such it would take more time to configure it than I would save in reformatting.

https://metacpan.org/pod/Code::TidyAll is an excellent tool for tidying and listing.  It can handle Perl (via perltidy and Perl::Critic), JavaScript, CSS, etc.  You can also easily set up pre-commit hooks so that code which needs tidying does not get committed.  It really can do a lot, but even just using a part of it can really improve your workflow.

Olaf