[tpm] Meetings

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 19:16:51 PDT 2017

Following up on this -- I met with my Tek Systems handlers for lunch today
(they're dealing with my contract at Manulife), and they offered the use of
their office's conference room for an upcoming TPM meeting, subject to
availability. I wasn't sure if space was an issue for the group, but wanted
to share that, just in case.

Alex

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 7:59 PM, James E Keenan <jkeenan at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 08/16/2017 07:36 PM, Alex Beamish wrote:
>
>> Guys, thanks for your updates.
>>
>> Olaf, Going to quarterly meetings is a sensible suggestion -- I think
>> it's a great idea. I'm already looking forward to the September lightning
>> talks.
>>
>> Dave, thanks for your tireless efforts to organize our monthly meetings.
>> It's been greatly appreciated by all of us.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Olaf Alders <olaf.alders at gmail.com
>> <mailto:olaf.alders at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     > On Aug 16, 2017, at 11:20 AM, Dave Doyle <dave.s.doyle at gmail.com
>> <mailto:dave.s.doyle at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     > Hi All,
>>     >
>>     > So I've been in my new job for 3 months now and my calendar has
>> gotten crazy.  I can no longer guarantee my ability to host or organize due
>> to job constraints.
>>     >
>>     > For example, I will be flying Wednesday Aug 29th so I can't host a
>> meeting this month.
>>     >
>>     > This somewhat accelerates my need for another organizer to step up.
>>     >
>>     > So... what say ye all?  Is there someone who can step up?  Is there
>> anyone who has access to another venue?  I can likely OCCASIONALLY provide
>> the venue at this point, but no more than that and it's subject to
>> cancellation due to the project I'm on. Or should we fold it up because
>> I've gone from not much time to zero time?
>>
>>     First off, let me thank Dave for carrying TPM on his capable
>>     shoulders for so long.  Aside from the question of a venue, I'd like
>>     to propose shifting to quarterly rather than monthly meetings.
>>  Lightning talks in Sept, a social in December and technical talks in
>>     March and June.  This *might* raise attendance and bring more of a
>>     social aspect back to the meetings.  I've noticed that the meetings
>>     I've been to lately don't regularly have a social aspect afterwards,
>>     which really is a nice part of the group.  If I know this is only
>>     happening 4 times/year, I'm more likely to block it off in my
>>     calendar.  We could always switch back to monthly if somebody had
>>     the energy to take that on, but fewer meetings seems like the path
>>     of least resistance.
>>
>>     We could still organize ad-hoc meetings if somebody really needs to
>>     give a talk or if someone is going to be in town (like Damian or Jim
>>     Keenan), but I think it takes a lot of effort to get quality talks
>>     in month after month and this would allow the PM group to continue
>>     with less stress.
>>
>>     Olaf
>>

> I would actually recommend trying to meet, on average, bi-monthly (less
> frequently in summer, more frequently in other seasons).  The reason why:
> To preserve momentum.
>
> But, of course, I'm 500 miles away, and talk is cheap.

> [...]

Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org