[tpm] Overlooked anniversary

John Macdonald john.malcolm.macdonald at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 11:45:43 PST 2014

Wow.  Perl 5 was such a huge upgrade from perl 4 too.  In fact, there was
so much added that my company didn't even try to convert from 4 to 5 for 3
years - we assumed that there would be huge numbers of compatibility
issues.  In the end, the backward compatibility was extremely good and we
were kicking ourselves for not upgrading much sooner.

(As I recall, the biggest compatibility issue was that perl 4 treated @
inside doube quoted strings DWIMishly - if it had seen an array that
matched the name after the @, then it interpolated, otherwise it left the @
unchanged; while perl 5 always interpolated the @ as an array.  That was an
easy fix, though - just tediously ".*@ and figure out whether each needed
to be changed.