[tpm] Devel::hdb - Visual debugging, in a web browser

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Oct 8 03:34:20 PDT 2013

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 17:48:23 -0400
Mike Stok <mike at stok.ca> wrote:

> On 2013-10-07, at 4:14 PM, Quantum Mechanic <quantum.mechanic.1964 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Saw this, tried it, didn't really work on Firefox. There's a brief thread
> > on Perl Monks, someone else could only get it to work on Chrome (not FF or
> > IE), and mentioned another browser debugger, whose name escapes me...
> >
> > -QM
>
> Is this the beginning of the Google Chrome monoculture? ;-)

I had written about it here:

http://shlomif-tech.livejournal.com/52195.html

Essentially someone wrote «Oh, and it works only [on] Chrome.
Ancient-browsers-please-be-gone!» while including Firefox in the "ancient"
browsers. When I discussed it with the poster's partner, he said that Firefox
was ancient because its codebase dated back many years ago - possibly back to
Netscape 1.0. But as Joel on Software notes in
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html old source code does
not rust, and it's not a good excuse to throw away the source code, start
from scratch and believe you can do better the second time. (Or maybe you
can a bit, but it will still be very time consuming and refactoring the code
will usually be much faster.).

Anyway, back to the topic: it does seem that Google Chrome is the browser most
beloved on hipsters, who seem to find it as an excuse to avoid supporting
other browsers. Personally, I tried Google Chrome and did not like it, but
can use it for brief amounts of time, and due to
http://shlomif-hsite.livejournal.com/11327.html I've grown suspicious of
Google, and cannot really trust them, especially given the fact that by
default GChrome reports many things to Google, and someone once told me that
Google is now "90% evil". So I'm sticking with Firefox.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish